Holy Trinity Cathedral



The very history of the Holy Trinity Cathedral is one of triumph over adversity.

Trinity Church, the first Anglican Church in Trinidad and Tobago, was a wooden building that stood on the corner of Prince and Frederick Streets. That original church, along with all the public buildings in Port of Spain, was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1808.

The British Crown granted funds for the construction of a new church. This construction started in Brunswick Square (now Woodford Square), but it was halted after public objections.

The cornerstone of the Holy Trinity Cathedral was laid at 30A Abercromby Street on May 30th, 1816. This time, like many of Port of Spain’s new buildings, construction was in stone.

With an overall emphasis on height, and using elements from the Gothic Revival movement, the Cathedral features lancet windows, pinnacled buttresses, and a steeply pitched roof. Materials used in construction include Laventille blue limestone, yellow brick imported from England, local mahogany, alabaster, and marble.

The Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity was consecrated on Trinity Sunday, May 25th. 1823.

In 1998 two sacred spaces were created on the grounds of the Cathedral. The Labyrinth is a space for private prayer and the Garden of Peace allows for interment of cremains in a sacred space.


On August 21st. 2018, a 6.8 magnitude earthquake affected parts of Trinidad and Tobago, and Holy Trinity Cathedral was significantly affected.
Already affected by earthquakes in 1825 and 1918, this time the Cathedral was forced to close its doors to services on February 17th, 2022.
The earthquake damaged walls, pillars, pinnacles, and decorative finials. Over time, water damage has also proven to be problematic.
Restoration is anticipated to cost more than $70 million dollars.
To donate, please Contact Us.

OUR 200th YEAR

The Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity was consecrated on Trinity Sunday, May 25th, 1823.

2023 marks the 200th Anniversary of the Cathedral and to mark this event a year of celebration and re-dedication is planned.

Please visit our store for commorative items.